Sunday, May 4, 2014

Never Become This Person in Med School

Im guilty of doing this in my first and 2nd year. When i read this, I realized that this was a big big BIG NO NO.



You will definitely encounter at least one person who will do this when you guys start talking about grades, academic standing, failing, the evals results, remediations, and danger subjects. 

I used to do this, and I experienced it also, where you guys try to one-up each other with how hard things are getting. Its tiring, and it makes both of you feel bad at the end of the conversation, eith one feeling like such a jack ass for having said something so hurtful, while the other feels ashamed for having thought their problems were relevant but ended up being trivial.

Just in case some of you still dont know what im talking about (hahaha, sometimes i think i talk normal, turns out nobody understands me...), here's an example (this is just an example, its a mash up of several conversations i've had, and i have also acted like X one time or another...)

X: fuuuuu, my grades are horrible, i failed this exam, and that exam, and i failed the quiz...
Me: awwww me too! I failed this and that, blah blah blah
X: at least you passed this subject, i have it worse than you because im failing all my lab exams, and all my evals in this subject
Me: well im also failing in this and that, and i got picked on by a prof, blahblahblah
X: i dont think it can get any worse than my problems, im depressed
Me: OMG! Me too, im sooo depressed
X: i dont see what you have to be depressed about, your problems aren't as bad as mine...
Me: no, everything's gonna be ok, cheer up, you're gonna pass all the subjects, dont give up!
X: thats easy for you to say, you're not the one experiencing this. You dont know what it feels like.
 
...so on and so forth.




Just remember, everybody has their own struggles, and each carries a different weight of their own. What might be trivial to you may be the unclimable mountain for the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment