Saturday, May 26, 2012

MED SCHOOL EXPENSES and DORM

My parents' wallets are probably bleeding right now, sustaining multiple blows from the immense amount needed to sustain my budding med school life.

First off, you will already be spending Php100,000 (AT LEAST) on the tuition alone.
and then...

"...dak!#$@%&WEN#$%^#$GLBVFOIJkndlkganngoiwf43*)(&((da4qo3ur908uj;dmsa;g..."

Thats what ran through my head when I started counting off all the things on the list that needed to be paid if I wanted to be in a comfortable state of studying in Med school.

So here's a list of projected expenses for one academic year (give or take a few thousand):

*These are all just estimates to some degree...

  • Tution fee: Php 113,000 x 2 semesters
  • Uniform: Php 950 per set (blouse and skirt or pants), I just bought two sets and will try to have 2 more made at a cheaper price. My classmate from one med school has one that costs only Php500 for the whole set.
  • Books: Php23,600 ( these are the books from my previous blog.
  • Allowance: Php 250x 6days a week (I just thought that I might have Saturday classes or something, idk. :)) ) 
  • Dorm: Php5,000 per month for 12 months. Most of the dorms there require a 12 month contract with the student.  
For the room I'm renting, its fully furnished, and has the following:

  1. one refrigerator
  2. 1 round table
  3. 1 cabinet
  4. 1 study table
  5. 1 rice cooker
  6. 1 microwave
  7. 1 TV
  8. 2 long shelves
  9. 2 chairs
  10. 1 bathroom (woot! woot!)
  11. small kitchen

Payment for utilities are separate, Php100 for water, Php50 if you want cable, and payment for your Meralco (can range anywhere from 250-500 pesos).

BTW, I found the dorm in Villa Nicasia, its a small village of dorms that's like 5 minutes away from DLSHSI.

Here's a map of the place.

Villa Nicasia

DLSHSI also has its own dorm called Dormbuilt, but I heard from other students that its a little pricier than the ones outside of the school.



Dormbuilt's pretty cool, spacious parking lot, safety and security is a given, and I think there's a curfew for it.

Going back to the dorm I found in Villa Nicasia, of all the dorms I looked at, this one was the most reasonably priced considering the size of the room and the furnishings. The other dorms that I looked at that were to be occupied by a single person costs roughly the same, but differed immensely with the size of the room! There was one dorm, it was just 1/4 the size of the dorm I'm staying in now, no furnishings, just a bed frame and study table, and it still costs Php5000!  O_O

I looked at about 10 dorms that day,all along the main road of Villa Nicasia, and I just about had it with the heat, and the frustration from not finding a good room. I just took a random turn and found myself along a street where the building was kind of scary looking with the old paint and all, but when I asked to look at the available room, I was pretty surprised with how great it was.

Well, after reviewing all the expenses, my mom just looked me in the eye and said, "Anak, everything has been provided for you. In my time, I didnt even have enough allowance to ride the jeep going to school. You have everything. All that's expected of you is to study, and study well. "

Holy shit. I feel the pressure now.








3 comments:

  1. 10 month allowance? does that mean may 2 months para sa....bakasyon?! wishful thinking... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, i computed it for ten months, since most of the upper years told us that we still had time to enjoy our vacation. But later on, in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th years, there's not much of a vacation time left since most of it would be taken up by scheduled exams, duties, rounds, etc. :) looking forward to vacation already? :))

      Delete
    2. Of course, I am thinking of a vacation already! Hahaha! You have to plan with the "end" in mind hahaha! I'll be following your posts in your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years to see if you still get to make lakwatsa amid the pressure ;-)

      Delete